Before “reality tv” and Instagram models took over our screens these actresses graced our televisions and magazines playing iconic roles from some of our favorite childhood shows. Whether you wanted to be the Pink Power Ranger on the playground or have your hair straightened like “Ashley Banks” these characters left a mark on us 80’s and 90’s babies. Let’s take a trip down memory lane and also see what these actresses are up to now.
- “Laura Winslow” was played by actress Kellie Shanygne Williams- Jackson best known for her role as “Steve Urkel’s” neighbor, classmate, and love interest on the ABC sitcom“Family Matters” and is now a wife, mother, producer, speaker, and philanthropist.
- “Topanga Lawrence” was the character “Corey Matthew’s” high school girlfriend on the ABC sitcom “Boy Meets World.” The character was played by actress Danielle Fishel. After the series ended she graduated from with a degree in Psychology from Cal State Fulerton and has reprised her role in the Disney Channel’s “Girl Meets World” and works behind the scenes in tv and is now a wife and mother.
- “Ashley Banks” from the NBC sitcom “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” played “Cousin Will’s” youngest cousin. She was played by actress and singer Tatyana Ali. After the series ended Tatyana’s 1998 debut album, “Kiss The Sky” went gold. She also graduated from Harvard University with a degree in African-American studies and government. Tatyana still acts, produces, sings, and is also a wife and mother.
- “Kimberly Hart/”The Pink Ranger” from FOX Kid’s “Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers” sitcom was played by actress Amy Jo Johnson. Amy Jo also starred in The Disney Channel Original Movie “Susie Q.” She is now a singer-songwriter and producer-director that lives in Canada.
- “Zaria Peterson” from Robert Townsend’s WB sitcom “The Parent’Hood” was the oldest and stylish daughter on the show. She always had the best hairstyles! After the series she married and had children and starred in different music videos such as T.I.’s “Whatever You Like” and Reuben Studdard’s “Sorry 2004″ More recently she was the voice of the cartoon character “Roberta Tubbs” on “The Cleveland Show” and is the voice of “Jenny & Kiki Pizza” on the Cartoon Network series “Steven Universe” and made an appearance as “Chantal” on The OWN Series, “Queen Sugar”.
6. “Tiffany Warren” the daughter on the NBC Sitcom “In the House” was played by actress and model Maia Campbell. After the series ended Maia went on to be in the music video for Tyrese’s “Sweet Lady” and films like “Trippin” and “Seventeen Again.” More recently Maia appeared on the reality series “Iyanla Fix My Life” a few years ago to get some guidance with her battles with drug addiction, parenting, and mental health issues. Keep her in your prayers.
7. “Hilary Banks“, cousin Will’s at times ditzy, yet fashionable cousin on “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” was played by actress Karyn Parsons. Karyn went on to be in 90’s films like “Class Act” and “Major Payne.” More recently Karyn is a mother, wife, and now an author of the children’s book “How High The Moon” and creator of “Sweet Blackberry“, a line of animated films about unsung Black heroes.
8. “Kelly Kapowski” the popular high school student from the NBC sitcom “Saved by the Bell” was played by actress Tiffani Theissan. After “Saved by the Bell” ended Tiffani went on to star in “Saved by the Bell: The College Years” and the FOX series “Beverly Hills: 90210.” Tiffani went on to star in the 2020 “Saved by the Bell” Reboot and is the star of the MTV comedy clip food show ‘Deliciousness.
9. “Lisa Turtle” the wealthy and fashionable friend on NBC’s “Saved by the Bell” was played by actress Lark Voorhies. After the series ended Lark made appearances in movies such as “Civil Brand“, “How High“, and “How to be a Player“, more recently she appeared on the Dr. Oz show talking about her issues with her mental health, and will be making appearances on the 2020-2021 reboot of “Saved by the Bell“
10. “Denise Huxtable” who was the free spirited rebel character from “The Cosby Show” & “A Different World‘ sitcoms was played by actress Lisa Bonét. After those shows ended Lisa was married to rock star, Lenny Kravitz and had their daughter, actress Zoe Kravitz. After Lisa and Lenny divorced she married actor Jason Mamoa and had two other children. Lisa appeared in 90’s films such as “Enemy of the State“, “Biker Boyz“, and “High Fidelity“, but hasn’t really acted in a while.
Who were your favorites growing up? Comment below.